What The F To Wear To Fashion Week?!!
image from clueless -/ wouldn’t it be amazing to have a personal stylist computer?!
Sadly, I will be missing fashion week this month as I am getting ready to leave Barcelona and packing up house to head back to NYC. As fashion week is here i decided it would be very appropriate for me to advise as to what i think is best to wear to the shows from past experience. I vividly recall the exciting yet exhausting hustle and bustle running the city, sweating(gross I know) , checking my phone, cab after cab, getting annoyed at the cab driver and traffic, re-applying makeup, lipstick to my eye ball while hitting speed bumps, taking photos/ trying to take photos, running in heels/flats, and trying to keep everything together looking perfectly stylish, cool calm and together (while screaming in side and 1000 degrees). I mean you are at a fashion show surrounded by the quite possibly best dressed people in the city and or world.. HIGH STRESS AND PRESSURE RUSH AND composure.
I recall countless mornings rolling out of bed and I wished I had that clueless closet selecting clothes from a computer and electronic closet, everything neat and tidy and even a personal stylist (yes a stylist wants their own stylist some times–it’s much more fun dressing other people-). However, by day 4 my clothes ended up taking new roles as appolstry for my chairs, others as table cloths, some as lamp shades. I could barely find anything and hardly had enough energy to make it to starbucks (I am over that now ha)- I pushed through to look some what–well, stylish. A large some of these mornings over the past years I did not even have enough time to put together the perfect ensemble (which annoyed me terribly–each outfit to me is like finishing a masterpiece painting)I was in need of an easy solution/ uniform this is where I came up with my- rule of thumb -go classic and comfortable. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! OFCOURSE EMANUELLE ALT inspired me once again-she has been to a few fashion shows in her life..
image via clueless
what you’ll need for fashion week:
- 4 / 5 Button down shirt’s (white/light blue/think classic ) *some can and should have pockets on the bust
- Jeans -any kind of denim will do (white-yes white–i don’t believe in the no white after labor day rule/blue/black/grey)
- Shoes-comfortable pumps/booties/ ballet flats/loafers
- Blazer (navy /black/ grey) *over sized/fitted
- motorcycle jacket
- Teeshirt (i like white best but.. grey, striped, navy, black)
- Belt (one great belt )
- Bag (simple, chic, black and can fit things you need to bring with you–bottled water, makeup, tissues….)
- a light scarf (neutral)
- Monochrome is always a good idea (yes I love all black everything, it looks so smart)
- bigger is better--a loser fitted button down shirt partially tucked in in the front and belted –bonus if there are utility pockets on the chest
- layer shirts (oxford over tee-shirt)
- roll with it-cuff your jeans /(just once) and the sleeves of your tee shirts’/button down shirt/blazer –adds a nice touch and it’s more comfortable. Non?
- dress up your wrists with some gold bangles
- always bring a sweater/scarf
- you CAN wear a trench coat even though its not raining
- DO NOT wear uncomfortable shoes–well you can if you have your driver taking you from show to show/door to door
- LESS is always MORE
- mix black and brown and or navy and black -it’s a statement a can be done very beautifully
CAPUCINE SAFYURTLU and EMANUELLE ALT
all images via tumblr and pinterest